Some Good News
We are not the only group in the country fighting opencast mining plans. In the last few weeks we have heard of two sites that are not going ahead:
- The Liquidators of UK Coal Surface Mining have now informed Staffordshire County Council that they are withdrawing their application to opencast on the Great Oak site near Bignall End
- A victory against the Marley Hill surface mine proposal (on the Gateshead / Co Durham boundary). Gateshead originally approved the application, but Co Durham refused permission and the Durham Case Officer says that there is not going to be an appeal.
Not all developers manage to get their applications passed so there is hope for us yet.
The February Derbyshire County Council Planning meeting has now been and gone and the Hilltop Farm scheme was not on the agenda. The next scheduled planning meeting is on Monday 9 March so we’ll wait to hear if it makes that one.
We have just submitted our fourth objection.
The noise from a fleet of heavy plant working twelve hours a day within 50m of some houses and always within 500m of a residential property will be intrusive and definitely unwanted.
- The Hilltop Action Group objection covers the following topics:
- Interpretation of National Planning Policy Framework Guidance
- Choice and suitability of Noise Sensitive Properties
- Relevance of planning decisions offered as precedents
- Northern haul road at entrance to processing area
- Effect of noise on neighbouring communities
- Effect of weather on noise propagation
This planning application by Provectus Remediation Ltd clearly breaches the guidelines as the anticipated noise levels are environmentally unacceptable. Furthermore, no national, local or community benefits have been demonstrated which would clearly outweigh the likely impacts.
On the grounds of unacceptable noise levels alone this application does not justify the grant of planning permission.
You can read the full details of the objection here or by selecting it in the Objections menu.
Don’t forget to use the Have your say page to leave your comments